Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I Serve - 100 years of existence

taken from wikipedia : SMK St Mary Kuala Lumpur.



"St. Mary's School, locally known as SMK St. Mary in Malay, is a public all-girls secondary school located in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Each student in St. Mary's is also known as St. Marian."

I am a St. Marian (1982 - 1989) Eventhough, I completed my high school at another all girl school - the famous Sultan Ibrahim Girls School in Johor Bahru, my heart will always be with St Mary KL. Previously, the primary and high school were located at Jalan Tengah in the middle of Kuala Lumpur. Next to Menara Promet (the sold MAS building). The old school was demolished and replaced with a posh High Rise Serviced Condominium called St Mary Residences (a whopping RM 1.3 million per unit!).

St Mary is always well known for its talent shows, musicals and drama. It was here that I was exposed to Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde, Charles Dickens and Charlotte Bronte. I remember we have sessions on English Literature and Sastera Melayu. I adore each time and I would read..reread .and read again the books. After I moved to SIGS, JB.. there was no literature sessions .. its just you! So in SIGS, I would end up in the library after school, rummaging for literature books. I would sit there and read to my hearts contend until the student librarian told me to leave! :-). It was also the first time, I was exposed to English drama and Story telling during Islamic week. I was 12 when I had to be a stand-in for Allayarhamah Aspalaila in a school play - KL zone. Our school was very active in KL. Drama contest and cheerleeding! Where the netball team goes .. I was there to cheer ;-) ! . I was also a Mcneilian.. In St Mary, students are grouped into 4 houses for sports day. Well.. I was a Mcneil ( Blue House) in Form1 and 2 but I was a Pring (Yellow House) in primary school. Mcneil, Pring, Pope (Green House) and Playne (Red House) are the names of the previous headmistresses of St Mary KL from 1917 - 1934.

There were so many fond memories. Now, 22 years later.. I'd like my daughter to gain the experiences that I acquired while in St Mary. I always harbour the feelings to have my daughter schooled there. Yesterday, my prayers were answered! She was admitted to St Mary primary school which is located in Selayang (the new location). I know that its quite far from Keramat and we have to go out atleast around 6.30 am in order to reach St Mary before 7.30 am. Insyaallah, I know we'll go through it. It will be a difficult first 2 years for us to commute from Keramat to Selayang. Insyaallah, we'll move there when the time is right. My parents are not keen on it as its quite far so they asked me to appeal to the Jabatan Pendidikan, Jln Duta so that she'll be readmitted to SK Taman Setiawangsa. As an obedient daughter and wife.. I did as told but again .. deep in my heart.. I hope that the appeal is rejected! :-) My hubby would be furious reading this entry... but I'm so sorry.. I know she'll do good in St Mary as I've did! I would love to teach her the school song.

Oh by the way, my mom was also a teacher in St Mary KL in the 70s until 1982. She taught Geography, Bahasa Malaysia and Sejarah! I remember when I was a toddler.. mom would bring me to school when there's events or go to school trips. During Eid celebration her students would come to our house and have barbecues! Ohh .. can't wait for naureen to start school!

Here's the school website - http://stmary_kl.webs.com/.

St Mary will be 100 years old in 2012!

United and strong,
Sing we a glad song,
For the school and the rules,
That guide us,
Of the colors and crest,
Of our works and our rest,
Of the things that our school provide us.

For God and for school,
Afar be it known,
We stand by the badge of our school,
The yellow and blue,
Shall ever be seen,
To the fore,
In sports and pure knowledge.

Will aye seek her fame,
Yea make good her claim,
For the name and the fame,
The dearest,
So work for the whole,
And sing from the soul,
For the sake of St. Mary,
The dearest.

2 comments:

  1. Hello I came across your blog when I was browsing. I am a current SMK St Mary student :D

    ReplyDelete